23 July 2007

Slackware 12!


After experiencing several times of failed installation and hard moments, I finally be able to online and blogging with my Slackware 12. It was the first Slackware I ever installed in my PC. Thanks to my friend for blogging about it because I became inspired after I read his Slackware review. :D Then I started to get my self a copy of Slackware 12. It took about 4 days to completing the 3.6GB of download via torrent. Yes, I know my internet connection is slow as I am a Streamshit subscriber. Then I burned the dvd image to my dvd-rw replacing the existing UbuntuStudio i previously burned.
Slackware 12

The newbie installation journey begin right after I boot the dvd. An echo prompted out and ask me to choose huge*** or something. I forgot the file name but as I am using x86 machine, so I just hit enter. Then I cfdisk to manage my partitions. After reserving two partitions for linux-swap and extended type of partitions, I proceeded the installation. bla bla bla bla.. and tadaa... The installation done. I installed Lilo as an OS manager so I be able choose whether to use Windows or Linux system. I rebooted up and aRgghh! No operating system! What's going on? After I reinstalled the Slackware and read the instruction carefully. I spotted my mistake that I did not manage my fstab before the I run the installation. I forgot to add all my systems and disc drives into it the fstab list and that make sense why Lilo cannot detect any operating systems at my first installation. And this time, Lilo shown up and the two operating systems listed on my monitor. I have booted the Linux and login as a root and start the x window and tadaaa!!! Yess! I made it! I can see the cool KDE blue mode interface on my moniter hehehe. But now its not cool anymore as I don't really like the blue color. I opened firefox but no connection detected. I take a while and play around with the network setting and configured my network manually and reopened my browser and Tadaa!! I'm connected to the internet! And now my graphic card driver. I go to Nvidia official site and download the related driver. I read some instruction from a forum and guest what found? The installation was easier for Slackware 12 because no extra configuration needed like I always managed to do for Ubuntu distribution. What else? Yes the sound system. I try to play the mp3 from my optical drive with amarok. The visualization seems to play but I couldn't hear any sounds out from my headphone. I check the alsamixer setting to find out if the volume is set to mute and yes it is. I have unchecked all the muted setting and tadaaa again!!! The mp3 is streaming fine. One more thing, the mouse wheel! I make some changes to the xorg.conf and rewrite the file. I reboot the system and again I try to scroll up and down in the browser to make sure it work properly and tadaaa... All works perfectly.. And now here I am writting on this post. Huh! what a long journey. But I feel satisfied that i made Slackware 12 working on my PC.

No comments: